Every rental manager likes their own forms. What's offered here is a complete set of landlord forms that you can modify. These forms are a good starting place for Massachusetts rental real estate.
If you're not yet a paid member, you can only view content marked as (Free).
Disclaimer: The content and materials provided on this site are meant to be for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing on this site is meant to act as legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Much of the content is provided by third-parties and is not vetted by MassLandlords. We advise you contact an attorney.
Which of these Landlord Forms do I Need?
Imagine your business is a "process" for providing temporary housing. The process has different steps:
- Screen the prospective tenants before you give a tour.
- Screen the prospective tenants before you sign an agreement.
- Sign an agreement before you hand over the keys.
- Operate the apartment.
- Help the tenants leave your property.
- Return their security deposit and file their records.
The Complete Set of Massachusetts Landlord Forms
Step One: Screening
- Phone Screening Prompt Sheet (Latest Version: 11)
Step Two: Applications
- Application (Latest Version: 18)
- Applicant Qualifier (Latest Version: 12)
- Applicant Qualifier International Students (Latest Version: 3)
- Application Instructions (Latest Version: 9)
- Application Checklist (Latest Version: 2)
- CORI Acknowledgement Form Free
- Application Fee Receipt non-lessor brokers only (Latest Version: 3)
- Security Deposit Receipt (Latest Version: 3)
- Move-in Money Receipt (Latest Version: 2)
- Request for Landlord Reference (Latest Version: 4)
- Verification of Disability for Reasonable Accommodation (Latest Version: 5)
- Adverse Action Letter for credit (Latest Version: 1)
Step Three: Rental Agreements
- Agreement Checklist (Latest Version: 11)
- Use this checklist to make sure you are getting all of the documentation you need for a new tenant.
- The list of forms below is roughly in order of importance.
- Lead Law Notification Public
- Sign the lead law notification before signing a rental agreement.
- The Main Agreement, Pick One:
- Tenancy at Will (Latest Version: 9)
- Fixed Term Lease (Latest Version: 7)
- Self-Extending Lease (Latest Version: 7)
- Optional Clauses to modify the above agreement (Latest Version: 9)
- Collect Rent Online
- Utilities Transfer Sheet (Latest Version: 2)
- Water Submetering Addendum (Latest Version: 3)
- Trash Sheet (Latest Version: 6)
- Animal Policy (Latest Version: 6)
- No Smoking Addendum (Latest Version: 2)
- Bedbug Warning Sheet Free (Latest Version: 4)
- Insect Infestation Addendum (Latest Version: 2)
- Mold Addendum (Latest Version: 1)
- Cleaning Fees (Latest Version: 7)
- Summary of Addenda (Latest Version: 1)
- Cosigner Guarantee (Latest Version: 1)
- Conditions Statement (Latest Version: 6.1)
- Security Deposit and Last Month's Rent Receipt (after bank)
- Pest Inspection Checklist (Latest Version: 2)
Step Four: Operations
- Annual Maintenance Checklist (Latest Version: 4)
- Emotional support animal request (see Verification of Disability for Reasonable Accommodation)
- Independent Contractor Agreement (Latest Version: 5)
- Last Month's Rent Annual Statement (Latest Version: 1)
- Monthly Rental Invoice and Water Bill (Latest Version: 1)
- Renew Lease (Latest Version: 2)
- Rent Raise Form (Latest Versions: 4 & 5)
- Rent Receipt (Latest Version: 4)
- Security Deposit Annual Statement (Latest Version: 1)
- Smoke Detector Inspection Form Free (Latest Version: 1)
- Written Information Security Plan (WISP) (Latest Version: 4)
Step Five-A: Moving Out
- Agreement to End Tenancy aka Cash for Keys (Latest Version: 2)
- Moving out Letter (Latest Version: 5)
- Moving out Checklist for tenant (Latest Version: 2)
- Non-Renewal of Lease Letter (Latest Version: 6)
- Vacancy checklist for landlord (Latest Version: 3)
Step Five-B: Eviction
- No longer required, for archival purposes only: Notice of Missed Payment During COVID-19 Eviction Moratorium (Latest Version: 4)
- Notice to Quit (Latest Versions: 4, 4 & 3)
- Summary Process Summons and Complaint (Latest Version: 2)
- Serenity Prayer (Public)
- Additional information on evictions
Step Six: Security Deposit Return
- Withholding (Latest Version: 7 & 3)
A note about file format: all of the forms are available in either Microsoft Word .docx, Microsoft Excel .xlsx, or Adobe .pdf. If you require a different format, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We intend to review these forms and update them when one of three things happen:
- One year has passed since the last review.
- A new landlord tenant law is passed.
- A court case produces a new understanding.
Revisions for each document are identified by a version number in the file name. When you download the file, keep the version number. The next time you use your forms, you can compare each file's version number with the latest version listed here. You can then read our revision comments to see if you wish to update your form to our latest version.
A history of major reviews:
- September 2016 through February 2017: Incorporation of best practices from the Rental Housing Association of Greater Springfield and Western Division of the Housing Court. Lyons and Fitzpatrick, Record Title advising in some instances.
- January, 2015: Incorporation of best practices from the Worcester Property Owners Association and Worcester Division of the Housing Court. Various attorneys advising in some instances.
- May 2014 through September, 2014: Incorporation of best practices from Greater Boston. Alford and Bertrand advising in some instances.
- Rental Agreement Rundown (2017 event)
To view all of this presentation, you must be logged-in and a member in good standing.
Log in or join today and gain access all presentations and videos
Slides are available only for members in good standing who are logged in.