Member Benefits and Annual Dues
|Digital||Central Worcester||Southern Worcester County||Springfield||MetroWest||Charles River||Cambridge||Lawrence||Holyoke||Berkshire County||Northern Worcester County|
|Rental forms: Download a complete set of up-to-date rental forms (applications, leases, notices to quit, and more)||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Home Depot Savings: 20% off paint; purchases over $1,000 eligible for price reductions; concierge services for larger jobs.||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Service Provider Directory: Search for service providers or be listed as one (electricians, managers, realtors, attorneys, plumbers, snow removers, and much, much more).||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Entity Formation Savings: Create LLC's or Inc's for a low, members-only fixed price via New Leaf Legal.||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Free trial to collect checks online: Never bounces, reports for credit, members get first tenant free for a year via RentHelper.||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Videos, analysis, and spreadsheets: Watch past events, learn about the laws, and access spreadsheets you can build on like our CFL vs LED ROI calculator.||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Newsletter: In-depth news, tips and tricks emailed monthly.||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Message boards: 24/7 access to Massachusetts landlords for advice and/or to contribute your professional expertise.||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Credit screening coupons: Save on SmartScreen credit reports.||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Events: Monthly networking and education at events state-wide.||Member price||Member price||Member price||Member price||Member price||Member price||Member price||Member price||Member price||Member price||Member price|
|Home base: Preferred pricing and name tag at dinner meetings in:||Worcester||Southbridge||East Longmeadow||Marlborough||Waltham||Cambridge||TBA||Holyoke||Pittsfield||Fitchburg|
|Legal standing to vote in MassLandlords elections, serve on boards, and be represented in policy discussions with local and state officials.||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
Choose your chapter using the menu above.
Benefits of Membership
MassLandlords membership is open to owners and managers of residential rental real estate in Massachusetts, and industry service providers. You can join whether or not you own units.
Benefit: Massachusetts-Compliant Rental Forms
- Almost everything: rental applications, leases, month-to-month agreements, notices to quit, security deposit returns, and much, much more. (No management agreements, no default contractor contracts, no barcoded court forms.)
- Downloadable PDF and MS Word formats.
- Updated at least annually based on new court interpretations.
Benefit: Home Depot Savings
- Save 20% off paint gallons and up no matter how much or how little you buy.
- MassLandlords also has designated regional sales rep who can arrange free delivery and bulk discounts on orders of $1,000 or $8,000 at a time.
- Two percent of your Home Depot spend goes back to MassLandlords to fund our policy work.
Benefit: Service Provider Directory
- Our provider directory has over 400 mostly unlisted “hidden treasures” for handy people and other local contractors.
- We have a state-wide network of attorney recommendations.
- Now in beta: search the directory for rental businesses like yours to find the best match.
Benefit: Entity Formation Savings
- Members get reduced rate, fixed price LLC’s and Inc’s.
- Trusts and asset protection strategies discussed for no charge.
- New Leaf Legal based in Cambridge works remotely across Massachusetts.
Benefit: Free Trial to Collect Checks Online
- Members get to try RentHelper first tenant free for a year.
- “Rent is due” done right. Use text messaging to collect rent.
- Evictions avoided, late payers start paying as agreed.
Benefit: Videos and Members-only Resources
- Can’t make an event? All of our topics rotate through the Worcester location, where our videographer records meetings for viewing on your own schedule.
- Over four years of videos and counting.
Benefit: Incredible Newsletter
- Beautiful, intelligent, insightful.
- Read online for free, or add a full color glossy print subscription for $60/yr, 50% off the cover price.
- Written by attorneys and expert landlords.
Benefit: Message Boards
- Find us on Facebook or Google Groups for local and state-wide conversations.
- Message boards are monitored by MassLandlords staff for responsiveness and correctness.
Benefit: Credit Screening Coupons
- Save on real credit scores and actual trade histories with ClearScreening SmartScreen.
- No on-site visit required.
- Instant access.
Benefit: Amazing Networking and Training Events
- Screened and vetted speakers cover topics that matter to your bottom line.
- No sales pitch, guaranteed.
- Evening event ticket prices comes with dinner, all dietary restrictions satisfied.
Benefit: Defense Fund
- Limited interest-free loans to cover attorney fees if the state is making you bankrupt.
- Applies only if you and your case meet eligibility criteria.
- Must be a member in good standing for two years or more.
Benefit: Policy Advocacy
- Members choose which bills and ordinances to support or oppose.
- MassLandlords is your advocate at the city, state, and federal level.
- We attend hearings, file bills, and litigate cases.
You can trust the information provided on MassLandlords. Our 1,400+ member businesses and attorneys have combined eons of experience actively working in Massachusetts rental real estate and actively tell us what to update and where. MassLandlords was initially launched in 2014 by the Worcester Property Owners Association, one of the oldest non-profit landlord organizations in the state.
Our mission is to create better rental housing by helping new, prospective, and current owners run profitable, compliant, quality businesses.
We are a non-profit 501(c)6 trade association.
Always check with your accountant, but generally our dues are 100% tax-deductible as a business expense on your Schedule E.
When we use any of your dues for lobbying, we account for it carefully and pay a federal proxy tax on that amount. This means your dues are 100% deductible even when used for lobbying.
Russell Sabadosa, East Longmeadow
Jane Gasek, Worcester
“My previous tenant left a lot of trash in my neighbor’s yard when she moved out. The neighbor threw back all the trash to my property. I texted her [my former tenant] and mentioned I will put her name on the [MassLandlords.net] forum. She responded to my text and she said she would try to clean it up ASAP but I didn’t believe it. Yesterday I went there to check and all the trash was gone!” -Hoang
“I got a new heating system [for free] using a program I heard about at a meeting.” -Phil
“You can never get enough education as a member…we are all in the similar boat and i’m not sure if it is good for anyone to think 20 plus year veterans have a magic bullet…they are in court frequently as they are human…education, education..” -Peter
“I just reread the article. Criminal background only covers 46 states [not Mass]. I had no idea. Thank you. So important. I really appreciate you making us aware of this.” -Elaine
“Thank you sooooo much for the referral. I’ve been comforted by [landlord] Jane’s words of wisdom ‘the 1st eviction is the hardest’. The thought of paying them … to move out is sickening yet made me realize I really need legal help.” -Karen
“The website, in a word, is GREAT!! A very professional appearance with intuitive links to information pertinent to landlord issues.” -Ron
“I did not know Mass Landlords existed! Now I am a big fan. Thank you for the partnership, thank you for the forms and information and thank you for the access to other landlords etc.” -Phill
“The brochure [newsletter] was actually fabulous. The amount of information!” -Bill
“I have personally meet Doug [the Executive Director] on several occasions and have exchanged countless emails and phone calls building a high level of trust on our [landlords’] common goals and interests.” -Russell
“Thank the organization and you for making these wonderful forms available!” -Gary
“Just wanted to thank you for the fantastic job you guys are doing.” -Jim
“Thanks for sending the link to the forms. What a great resource!” -Yvonne
“I only have a 3 decker and I live in one of those units. But I like to support the organization with my membership and I also read your newsletters with scrutiny to keep myself out of trouble. ;-)” -Joan
“Thank you thank you thank you :-)” [RE: help from message board with tenant dispute] -Alejandra
“Well, now that I shoveled my flat(ish) roof, I’m not sure my sore back is thanking you.. 🙂 But seriously – I appreciate the push [the message board alert]. I didn’t watch the weather so didn’t know about the upcoming issues [rain after heavy snow]. I can sleep well tonight knowing the tenants and the building is safe. Thanks again.” -Scott
“I always enjoy my time with the WPOA [MassLandlords.net/Worcester].” – Brian (service provider)
“I do appreciate all that you do to protect the rights of citizens to own and rent property. Freedom is just another thing to loose. Keep up the great work.” -Richard
“MassLandlord/SPOA very easy going to feel warm and humanistic. Thanks a lot and we keep going forward. Cheers and happy spring.” -Bob
“I wish I had joined sooner! Some of the concerns raised by other landlords I also share.” -Mary
“What a great response I got from our fellow landlords [via the message board]…all very helpful..” -Andriana
“We were members of the WPOA for a few years after we bought our properties in 2003. It was really helpful to us as first time landlords. This second go round is very impressive with its upgrade using today’s technology. From the guest speakers, the meeting location (with great meals), the website filled with resources, and the Google Group to ask questions of the other members, etc., you’ve made it a professional group. You run a good ship and we are glad we rejoined.” -Amy
“That was incredibly helpful, and clearly explained [re: how to raise the rent]. Thanks so much for your help!” -Tim
“The newsletter looks great, and I’m glad we have another newsletter in this state [besides SPOA] with good draftsmanship and quality articles.” -Skip
“I have been in the real estate business for over 50 years and this is a terrific web site.” -Jim
“not quite sure how I was able to navigate as a landlord before joining MassLandlords!” -Tim
“Thank you very much for your help and guidance! Your website is awesome and SUCH a help!” -Kara
“Thank you, you were very helpful [in reference to the service provider directory].” -Claire
“I found your website to be a fantastic resource.” -Michael
“Thank you all for the feedback and info, it is so…so helpful!! I am loving this group [forum] already. I will probably post another question today in a separate string because I need tenant screening advice.” -Courtney
“As a new member, I’m finding your organization incredibly helpful!” -Joann
“I am an out of town landlord and attended my first meeting last night. I just wanted to tell you how impressed I was with everything from the meeting location, the people in attendance and especially with the speakers. To have not one but two judges come out and speak to landlords is truly remarkable. The entire evening was filled with very informative information and I commend you and the entire organization.” -Ron
“As a member let me first say how thankful I am of the resources I’ve found so far! Great stuff!” -Craig
“This is the course I’ve been waiting for for fifty years.” -Mary, at the April 2017 crash course
“Thank goodness we have MassLandlords events to ask any and all questions whether we have been landlords for years or just starting out on this ever changing business. That’s why we all joined MassLandlords and don’t rely on Google.” -Brian