Learn everything you need to succeed as an owner or manager of residential rental property in Massachusetts.
This fast-paced course is strictly limited to 16 participants to allow for detailed discussion and Q&A. Course tuition includes:
- Small group session with the Executive Director, a trained presenter and experienced landlord, and the attorney.
- A comprehensive agenda, see below.
- Your choice of two books:
- Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide by NOLO,
- The Good Landlord by Peter Shapiro,
- Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher, and/or
- The Housing Manual by H. John Fisher.
- A bound summary of all material presented.
- Breakfast pastries, coffee, tea.
- Lunch sandwiches, sodas, chips, cookies; all dietary requirements satisfied, please notify us when you purchase a ticket.
- A MassLandlords ballpoint pen.
- A MassLandlords certificate of completion and permission to use "MassLandlords Crash Course graduate" on your marketing material.
You will receive a box packed with your personalized signed certificate,
your choice of two books, course notes, pen, and half a dozen other pieces of literature.
Course Graduate Testimonials
"This has really been a great deal. 2 books, 8 hours 'class' time, bound notes/slides -- impressive value!" -Dawn
"I found this course extremely useful. It was completely professional and gave me a great new perspective." -Nicholas
"I’m glad there was more in depth discussion than just reading off the slides. I appreciate the opportunity for questions and practice." -Crash Course Graduate
"If I had done this 20 years ago. Oh my goodness!" -Crash Course Graduate
"Great overview of being a landlord in MA" -Crash Course Graduate
"Covered a lot of ground concisely, but still enough time for questions and insight. Worth every penny." -Crash Course Graduate
Part of this presentation will be given by Doug Quattrochi, Executive Director, MassLandlords, Inc. Doug was a founding member of MassLandlords in 2013. He became the association's first Executive Director under new bylaws in 2014. Since then, he has scaled the organization from a core of 160 members in Worcester to approximately 2,500 dues paying businesses from Pittsfield to the Cape, and from an all-volunteer team to approximately 20 full and part-time staff plus 50 volunteers. Doug has been instrumental in advancing democratic governance mechanisms, including score voting for policy priorities and a staggered and democratically elected Board of Directors. Doug also oversees the RentHelper spin-off, which is expanding access to electronic banking for those of us who are unbanked or underbanked. Prior to MassLandlords, Doug held leadership roles in various Massachusetts startups, two of which are still operating. Doug holds a Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
"Doug's presentation was excellent. He was very clear and provided detailed explanations." -Larry
"Doug always holds very informative classes full of substance and Very organized!" -Thomas
"Your answers to member's questions were most helpful." -Liz
Part of this presentation will be given by attorney Adam Sherwin. Adam is an experienced real estate litigator with years of experience representing landlords, property owners, and other real estate professionals. He has extensive experience litigating real estate disputes before judges and juries and has obtained favorable decisions from the Massachusetts Appeals Court and District Court Appellate Division. He is also a long-time crash course instructor at the Cambridge headquarters and over zoom.
|Public Ticket||Member Ticket|
Cambridge Crash Course - Sun January 21
The MassLandlords Crash Course in Landlording: The Year You Build Your Business
Member? Log in.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them.
We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Sunday, January 21st
Crash Course Agenda
In-Person Course Agenda
- 8:30 am - Introduction of MassLandlords and course participants
- 8:45 - Rental markets
- Urban, suburban, rural
- Luxury, college, professional, working, subsidized, rooming houses
- 9:00 - Property selection
- Lead paint (Legal highlight)
- Bones vs surfaces
- Repairs and renovations
- Durable vs beautiful
- What if I'm stuck with what I've got?
- 9:40 - Sales and marketing 101 for rental property managers
- Marketing rentals
- Sales process
- Staying organized
- Branding a small business
- Getting more or fewer calls
- Tips and tricks
- 10:05 - Break for ten minutes
- 10:15 - Finish sales and marketing
- 10:35 - Applications and screening
- Criminal, credit, eviction
- Tenant Screening Workshop
- 11:30 - Tenancies
- Lease vs Tenancy at Will
- Security deposits
- 11:50 - Break and Lunch, with free form Q&A
- 12:20 - Warranties and covenants
- Late fees
- Water and electrical submetering
- Warranty of habitability
- 12:40 - Dispute resolution
- Eviction notices
- Eviction process
- Housing Court vs District Court
- Rent control
- 1:40 - Break for ten minutes
- 2:50 - Maintenance, hiring, and operations
- Keeping the rent roll and expenses
- Filing taxes
- To manage or not to mange
- Tenants as customers
- Notifying tenants
- Monitoring contractors
- Lease violations and conflict resolution
- Record keeping
- 3:40 - Overview of books and resources for further education
- 3:45 - Review of unanswered questions
- 4:00 - End Course
Please note that end time may vary based on questions.
Cambridge Innovation Center
14th Floor, Charles Conference Room
Cambridge, MA 02134
Please note: CIC has several buildings in Kendall Square, two of them being adjacent to each other. The correct location for this event is the building with light colored concrete, vertical windows and a Dunkin Donuts on the ground level. You will NOT see a CIC sign. Refer to the image below.
Accessing from the T
- Exit the Kendall T stop on Main St.
- Cross to the side of Main St. with the Chipotle and walk up the street towards Broadway, passing the Chipotle on your left.
- You will then round the corner to the left and One Broadway will be across the street diagonally.
- Cross over Third St. and Broadway to arrive at One Broadway.
For all attendees Upon entering One Broadway, you will need to check in with the lobby security. You'll just need to show your ID and let them know you're going to the MassLandlords event and which floor.
Accessible by T and highway. Parking available in several garages for weekend rates. See CIC Directions for details. Pilgrim Parking has affordable rates and is a short walk from the venue, click here for details
- Fresh bagels, large muffins, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake slices and scones with cream cheese, butter, and jam
- Fresh fruit platter
- Assorted fruit juices and coffee
- Assorted gourmet sandwiches
- Garden salad
- Pasta salad
- Assorted pastries
- Soda, juice, water
*Please email email@example.com if you have any dietary restrictions and need a special meal.
*Dietary restrictions: Purchase a ticket and set your preferences at My Account one week prior to the event or earlier. Once set, preferences remain set for future events.
Masks welcome! Eating and drinking is not required. Please note: as we are unable to monitor the buffet, we are unable to offer a reduced ticket price for attendees who will not be eating.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Public: $275
- Members: $250
This event will not be recorded.
Slides and handouts if any will be uploaded to.
This event is operated by MassLandlords, Inc. staff.
Want to speak at a MassLandlords meeting? Submit a speaker request.
This is part of the Virtual rental real estate networking and training series.
Add our entire event calendar to yours:
iPhone & iPad: add our entire event calendar to iCal.
Add just this event to your calendar: