New May 7: We will pivot the topic to focus primarily on Housing Court Standing Order 5-20, which implements the Eviction Moratorium passed April 20:
- What are Housing Court Standing Orders?
- What does Standing Order 5-20 say?
- Which evictions may not be filed or advanced?
- What might constitute an essential eviction that can still be filed?
- If one has a case that should still be filed:
- Where does one go?
- What is the required Affidavit of Compliance?
- What is the required Affidavit for Cause?
- "Normally I would file 'no fault'." What kind of evidence do I need to gather?
- Is it a good idea to hire an attorney? Spoiler alert: yes.
This will be a procedural presentation. We will not be giving advice particular to your situation. We will not discuss whether the eviction moratorium should have passed, or how some are trying to cope with it. Note that eFiling in the Housing Court became mandatory for attorneys and parties represented by attorneys effective January 27, 2020, not a moment too soon for a time when in-person communication may be dangerous. You can still file a limited number of cases, but the rules have changed dramatically for which cases may be filed and how.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them. We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Open to attendees statewide
This event is regionally branded in keeping with a local tradition. This region used to meet in-person on this day at this time. You are welcome to participate in this virtual meeting no matter where you are in the state.
Wednesday, May 13th
Virtual Meeting Agenda
- 6:30pm Sign-in and virtual networking: you can chit chat with others as people log in
- 6:40pm MassLandlords Business Update and Member Minutes
- Member Minutes - Any member can have the mic for 60 seconds (introduce yourself, ask a question, share words of wisdom, etc.)
- 7:05pm Rich Merlino Meeting Introduction
- 7:10pm eFiling Essential Evictions in Housing Court
- 8:00pm Virtual meeting ends
During the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, this event series is being replaced by webinars or virtual meetings held during the normal event time. Please do not go to the physical event location. If you require assistance using webinar or virtual meeting technology, please contact us at 774-314-1896 or firstname.lastname@example.org a day or two prior to the event. We can send instructions in time for you to participate.
- Virtual meetings include optional audience participation via video, phone, and screenshare and are not recorded.
- Webinars have limited participation options (typed questions only) and are recorded.
Virtual Meeting Details (hosted by Zoom)
- We will share our video, audio, and computer screen and slides.
- Optional: You can share your video with everyone, talk to everyone, and type chat with everyone. Video sharing is not required. Talking is not required.
Passwords are emailed upon purchase of a ticket. If you do not receive your password within a minute, check your spam. If it's not in spam, email email@example.com before the event or at the start. We check email during event startup.
Topic: Worcester Virtual Meeting May 13, 2020 Time: May 13, 2020 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/776397502 Meeting ID: 776 397 502 Password: Will be emailed One tap mobile +13126266799,,776397502# US (Chicago) +16468769923,,776397502# US (New York) Dial by your location +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 253 215 8782 US +1 301 715 8592 US +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) Meeting ID: 776 397 502 Password: Will be emailed Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aezzlVDnur
Please use the zoom "test audio" feature to evaluate your microphone prior to the meeting start time. You will be allowed to talk to others if your microphone is good and there is no background noise. We reserve the right to mute anyone for any reason. Attendees without a microphone or who don't want to be heard can type questions.
Is zoom secure? Yes, our meetings are password protected, the password is only sent to paid participants, and we utilize other security features to prevent just anyone from sharing their screen. Some articles describe "zoombombing," in which participants share lewd images on screen. What these articles do not say is that the affected meetings were public (not password protected) and/or did use basic security features such as "only the host can share", features which we use.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Contemporaneous participation:
- Public: $10
- Members: $7
- Premium Members: No charge and no need to register. Click here for meeting details and password.
This event will not be recorded.
This event is operated by MassLandlords staff.
Want to speak at a MassLandlords meeting? Submit a speaker request.
This is part of the Worcester rental real estate networking and training series.