Part I: Buying or Selling Occupied Property
This presentation will go over the essentials of buying or selling occupied property, in other words, leased rentals.
We will look at all aspects of the process:
- Offer stage - what to include
- Due diligence - what rental documents to request from owner/seller
- P&S - ensuring correct terms
- Closing ensuring transfer of last month's rent and security deposits
- Post closing - starting off relationships with new tenants on the right foot
These best practices ought to be known by all brokers and REALTOR's, but in practice some don't. And even if yours does, it's always a good idea
as the incoming or outgoing owner to know enough to supervise. Security deposit liability, for instance, lies with us even if our agents do not comply.
This part of the presentation will be given by Attorney Michele Kasabula, MassLandlords Board of Directors.
Part II: Tenant Screening Overview
Credit, criminal, eviction history. What can we check and what does it mean? This segment will review all of these factors, as well as give a comprehensive
look at discrimination protections. We'll show you how to protect your assets while also giving equal housing opportunity to all.
We will cover age discrimination and emotional support animals so you know when you can take a photo ID and how to verify requests for reasonable accommodation.
This part of the presentation will be given by MassLandlords staff.
Have you seen our Leave Stuff, Take Stuff Table?
Market your business, pick up handouts, give away an old doorknob. Everything goes on our first-come, first-served display table at all our events. Please bring business cards, brochures, coupons. And feel free to pick up your own uncollected marketing materials at the end. Everything not claimed end-of-event may be chucked.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them.
We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful
educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Wednesday, March 11th
- 5:30pm Sign-in/Networking
- Networking draws from Worcester, Shrewsbury, Millbury, Auburn, Leicester, Paxton, Holden, West Boylston, Boylston, Grafton, Upton, Northbridge, Sutton, Oxford, Charlton, Spencer, Oakham, Rutland, Princeton, Clinton, and Sterling.
- 6:15pm Buffet Dinner by The Vintage Grille
- 6:40pm MassLandlords Business Update and Member Minutes
- Member Minutes - Any member can have the mic for 60 seconds (introduce yourself, ask a question, share words of wisdom, etc.)
- 7:00pm Rich Merlino Meeting Introduction
- 7:05pm Buying or Selling Occupied Property
- 7:40pm Tenant Screening Overview
- 8:30pm Networking and one-on-one follow-up
- 9:00pm Doors close
Worcester Technical High School
1 Skyline Dr
Worcester, MA 01603
There is ample free parking in the first lot you see, in the covered garage to your left, on top of the garage
(entrance further down road), and around the back of the school
- Cheese and crackers, sodas, water, coffee, decaf
- Hot buffet dinner, incl. salad, rolls
- Cookies, brownies, and/or blondies
*Dietary restrictions: purchase an early-bird ticket and email email@example.com, we will accommodate you.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Early-bird, reserve seven days prior by 12pm:
- Premium Members: No charge and no need to register
- First time attendees: Join as a member before leaving the event, your public ticket will be credited toward membership.
- Members: Bring a first-time attendee who joins at the event, your membership will be extended by one month free. No limit.