Part I: Worcester Grants for Deleading, Rehab
The City of Worcester has an extensive array of programs available to grant or loan funds for variety of rental housing purposes. This will be a quick
run-down of all the programs you should know about if you invest or may invest in Worcester.
The Worcester Housing Now program combines resources from a variety of programs targeting owners and managers of residential rental real estate:
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Funding, Lead Abatement Funding, Affordable Housing Now Loan Fund, Owner-Occupied Rehabilitation Funding,
Monthly Sanitary/Building Code classes, the Multifamily Rehabilitation and Maintenance Guide, the Housing Development Advisory Committee,
and monthly housing topic videos on the City website and YouTube channel.
This part of the presentation will be given by Jim Brooks, Director of Housing Development and Healthy Homes,
Executive Office of Economic Development - Housing Development Division, City of Worcester.
Part II: Qualified Opportunity Zones
The Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 granted states the power to define
Qualified Opportunity Zones, which offer tax-deferred
or tax-free investment opportunities to
landlords and businesses alike. Massachusetts created opportunity zones everywhere!
We'll review the opportunity zone process, show areas in your neck of the woods that will qualify,
and discuss how to plan and execute a fund. Attendees, especially those interested in additions, remodels, and
new construction will leave with valuable practical knowledge about this new tax incentive.
This part of the presentation is MassLandlords repertoire. It will be given by
Steve Thebodo of O'Connor, Maloney & Company, P.C.
Steve started with them in 2001 and became a shareholder of the firm in 2016.
He provides clients with tax advice and preparation services, financial statement preparation, accounting,
auditing and consulting services. He graduated from Assumption College in 2000 with a Bachelor’s
Degree in accounting. Steve is past president of the Worcester Young Businessman’s Association and
Spencer Exchange Club. He is the treasurer of Girl’s, Inc. of Worcester and continues to serve as a
board member of the Spencer Exchange Club. Steve was named to Worcester Business Journal’s 40 Under Forty in 2013.
Have you seen our Leave Stuff, Take Stuff Table?
Market your business, pick up handouts, give away an old doorknob. Everything goes on our first-come, first-served display table at all our events. Please bring business cards, brochures, coupons. And feel free to pick up your own uncollected marketing materials at the end. Everything not claimed end-of-event may be chucked.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them.
We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful
educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Wednesday, January 8th
- 5:30pm Sign-in/Networking
- Networking draws from Worcester, Shrewsbury, Millbury, Auburn, Leicester, Paxton, Holden, West Boylston, Boylston, Grafton, Upton, Northbridge, Sutton, Oxford, Charlton, Spencer, Oakham, Rutland, Princeton, Clinton, and Sterling.
- 6:15pm Buffet Dinner by The Vintage Grille
- 6:40pm MassLandlords Business Update and Member Minutes
- Member Minutes - Any member can have the mic for 60 seconds (introduce yourself, ask a question, share words of wisdom, etc.)
- 7:00pm Rich Merlino Meeting Introduction
- 7:05pm Worcester Grant Programs
- 7:30pm Member Choice: Opportunity Zones
- 9:00pm Doors close
Worcester Technical High School
1 Skyline Dr
Worcester, MA 01603
There is ample free parking in the first lot you see, in the covered garage to your left, on top of the garage (entrance further down road), and around the back of the school
- Cheese and crackers, sodas, water, coffee, decaf
- Hot buffet dinner, incl. salad, rolls
- Cookies, brownies, and/or blondies
*Dietary restrictions: purchase an early-bird ticket and email firstname.lastname@example.org, we will accommodate you.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Early-bird, reserve seven days prior by 12pm:
- Premium Members: No charge and no need to register
- First time attendees: Join as a member before leaving the event, your public ticket will be credited toward membership.
- Members: Bring a first-time attendee who joins at the event, your membership will be extended by one month free. No limit.