Part I: Discrimination Refresher
We'll review the protected classes and equal housing opportunity laws. Yes, you can reject the rental application of someone who's a member of a protected class.
But no, you can't do so because of their being in that protected class. We'll cover federal and state protected classes, steering, and testing. We'll make sure everyone leaves the room
understanding their obligations to ensure equal housing opportunity for all.
In particular we'll cover emotional support animals, children when there's lead in the apartment, Section 8, and more.
This part of the presentation will be MassLandlords repertoire presented by Executive Director Douglas Quattrochi.
Part II: Guerilla Tenant Screening Tactics
If you've been in the business a while you won't be surprised to hear that applicants sometimes lie. If you're new, this is a must-see presentation. Experienced landlords will be sharing their
insider secrets on how to run a rental screening process rigorously, fairly, and without failure. How do you verify sources of income? What does it mean to check a rental application?
What's the one thing you can say to ruin your chances of getting a truthful landlord reference?
This part of the presentation will be given by Brian Lucier of Belaire Property Management. Brian has over 18 years of industry experience and continues to pick up tips and tricks to stay current with
evolving technology. Brian will give you at least one new idea to try, but more probably a dozen. If you haven't seen his office in Fitchburg it's worth a drive for the one-way stickers alone. He's coming to visit us and is not to be missed.
Have you seen our Leave Stuff, Take Stuff Table?
Market your business, pick up handouts, give away an old doorknob. Everything goes on our first-come, first-served display table at all our events. Please bring business cards, brochures, coupons. And feel free to pick up your own uncollected marketing materials at the end. Everything not claimed end-of-event may be chucked.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them.
We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful
educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Wednesday, March 13th
- 5:30pm Sign-in/Networking
- Networking draws from Worcester, Shrewsbury, Millbury, Auburn, Leicester, Paxton, Holden, West Boylston, Boylston, Grafton, Upton, Northbridge, Sutton, Oxford, Charlton, Spencer, Oakham, Rutland, Princeton, Clinton, and Sterling.
- 6:15pm Buffet Dinner by The Vintage Grille
- 6:40pm MassLandlords Business Update and Member Minutes
- Member Minutes - Any member can have the mic for 60 seconds (introduce yourself, ask a question, share words of wisdom, etc.)
- 7:00pm Rich Merlino Meeting Introduction
- 7:05pm Doug Quattrochi, Discrimination Refresher
- 7:30pm Guerilla Tenant Screening Tactics with Brian Lucier
- 9:00pm Doors close
Worcester Technical High School
1 Skyline Dr
Worcester, MA 01603
There is ample free parking in the first lot you see, in the covered garage to your left, on top of the garage (entrance further down road), and around the back of the school
- Cheese and crackers, sodas, water, coffee, decaf
- Hot buffet dinner, incl. salad, rolls
- Cookies, brownies, and/or blondies
*Dietary restrictions: purchase an early-bird ticket and email firstname.lastname@example.org, we will accommodate you.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Early-bird, reserve seven days prior by 12pm:
- Premium Members: No charge and no need to register
- First time attendees: Join as a member before leaving the event, your public ticket will be credited toward membership.
- Members: Bring a first-time attendee who joins at the event, your membership will be extended by one month free. No limit.