The Commonwealth of Massachusetts pays for dedicated civil servants to help people navigate the courts. These legal professionals work in the Massachusetts Trial Court Service Centers, which are accessible now through Zoom Meeting and telephone (and in normal times, located in seven multi-court complexes through the Commonwealth). The Court Service Centers do not give legal advice or provide representation. They do:
- Provide legal information about court processes and procedures;
- Answer procedural questions without giving advice;
- Provide 1-on-1 assistance in completing court forms;
- Provide information on legal services and other community-based organizations; can refer renters to RAFT and ERMA, and owners to ERMA, and
- Provide access to an interpreter in your/your renter's preferred language.
This presentation will be relevant to new and experienced owners and managers, especially those with renter challenges like payment arrears, domestic violence, custody, and other issues for which the starting point to address an issue may be unclear. We will also discuss volunteer opportunities for those who aren't so badly impacted by the pandemic and may be willing to give back.
This presentation will be given by Jorge Colón. Jorge is a licensed attorney in the jurisdictions of Massachusetts and Puerto Rico. In his current role as the Court Service Center (CSC) Circuit Manager for the Massachusetts Trial Court, he supports the operations of five of the seven CSC locations across the state. Jorge has dedicated over eight years of his career to the housing field, especially working with landlords and tenants in eviction cases. In 2019, Jorge received the Massachusetts Trial Court Excellence Award for his work as part of the Language Access Advisory Committee.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them. We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Open to attendees statewide
This event is regionally branded in keeping with a local tradition. This region used to meet in-person on this day at this time. You are welcome to participate in this virtual meeting no matter where you are in the state.
Wednesday, November 4th
Virtual Meeting Agenda
- 5:00pm Sign-in and virtual networking: you can chit chat with others as people log in
- 5:40pm MassLandlords Business Update and Member Minutes
- Member Minutes - Any member can have the mic for 60 seconds (introduce yourself, ask a question, share words of wisdom, etc.)
- 6:00pm Local Manager Meeting Introduction
- 6:05pm Court Service Centers
- 7:00pm Virtual meeting ends
Participation is Easy
As a result of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, our events have been replaced by webinars or virtual meetings held during the traditional event time for each former location:
- Virtual meetings include optional audience participation via video, phone, and screenshare and are not recorded.
- Webinars have limited participation options (typed questions only) and are recorded.
Our virtual registration desk is open for all events one hour starting 30 minutes prior to the event start time. Call 774-314-1896 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for live, real-time help signing in and using your technology.
If joining a virtual meeting, please use the zoom "test audio" feature. You will be allowed to talk to others if your microphone is good and there is no background noise. We reserve the right to mute anyone for any reason. Attendees without a microphone or who don't want to be heard can type questions.
Virtual Meeting Details (hosted by Zoom)
We will share our video, audio, and computer screen and slides.
- Optional: You can share your video with everyone, talk to everyone, and type chat with everyone. Video sharing is not required. Talking is not required.
Password will be emailed and viewable online.
Topic: Court Service Centers Time: Nov 4, 2020 05:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87227646904 Meeting ID: 872 2764 6904 Passcode: Will be emailed and viewable online Dial by your location +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown) +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) Meeting ID: 872 2764 6904 Passcode: Will be emailed and viewable online Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdySXIrhTi
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Contemporaneous participation:
- Public: $10
- Members: $7
- Premium Members: No charge and no need to register. Click here for meeting details and password.
This event will not be recorded. Slides and handouts if any will be uploaded to our page on Housing Court.
This event is operated by MassLandlords staff.
Want to speak at a MassLandlords meeting? Submit a speaker request.
This is part of the Greater Waltham rental real estate networking and training series.