Longmeadow Thu 2/13: Rental Applications, Dealing with the Unreasonable in Smoking and Vaping
Part I: Rental Applications
The critical step in a tenant screening process is the rental application. Is it complete? Is it true? And is it enough?
In this segment, we will review the general context in which tenant screening happens, covering credit, criminal, and housing history.
Then we will review the MassLandlords application box-by-box, with examples completed. Can we verify their prior address? What do their pay stubs look like, or
do they have proof of subsidy or other income? Why does it say "etc." under pets? Finally, we'll give guidance on how to communicate acceptance or rejection, and
why ghosting an applicant may come back to haunt you.
Attendees will leave with a clear understanding of how to use the MassLandlords rental application, how to verify information presented, and how to rent
knowing your new customers are likely to succeed.
Part II: Dealing with the Unreasonable in Smoking and Vaping
Attorney Larry Farber will share a "must see" case study in dealing with
unreasonable requests regarding smoking and vaping. He will also share
suggestions for what to include in a lease or addendum to spell out the
smoking and vaping policy at your rentals, whether for tobacco or marijuana.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them.
We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful
educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Thursday, February 13th
RHAGS Meeting Agenda
- 5:30pm Sign-in and Networking
- Cash bar
- Networking draws from Springfield, West Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee, Ludlow, Wilbraham, East Longmeadow, Longmeadow, Agawam, Southwick, Southampton, Easthampton, Northampton, Westhampton, Hadley, South Hadley, Granby, Amherst, Belchertown, Ware, Palmer, Warren, Monson, and Hampden.
- 6:00pm Buffet dinner
- 6:40pm State-wide Business Update and Member Minutes
- 7:00pm Local Updates
- 7:05pm Legal Update
- 7:10pm Rental Applications
- 7:35pm Dealing with the Unreasonable
- 8:30pm Networking
- 9:00pm Doors Close
Twin Hills Country Club
700 Wolf Swamp Rd
Longmeadow, MA 01106
- Hot buffet dinner, incl. salad and rolls
- Cash bar
- Hot Coffee & Tea
*Dietary restrictions: purchase an early-bird ticket and update the goals/restrictions field in your profile, we will accommodate you.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Early bird, reserve seven days prior by 12pm:
Nametags are printed for all early-bird tickets and premium members.
- First time attendees: Join as a member before leaving the event, your public ticket will be credited toward membership.
- Members: Bring a first-time attendee who joins at the event, your membership will be extended by one month free. No limit.