This page will compile resources for the Fair and Equal Housing Guarantee via Surety Bonds, a way to fund the COVID-19 eviction moratorium.
If you are not familiar with why we are advocating for a surety bond, see the following resources first:
- Massachusetts Eviction Moratorium: Full Explanation and FAQ, May 7, 2020
- Eviction Moratorium Response: Board Vote for Surety Bond, May 5, 2020.
- FAQ, petition, and powerpoint on how surety bonds will work
- Eviction Moratorium Survey Results: 22% of Providers Unable to Pay for Housing, April 17, 2020
- Housing Surety Bond Spreadsheet Models Costs Now, Savings Later, May 4, 2020.
- Estimates of Post-Moratorium Eviction Filings Now Exceed Housing Court Annual Caseload, May 27, 2020.
About the lawsuits:
- MassLandlords is lobbying for statewide surety (this page).
- Third parties are litigating to overturn the eviction moratorium see (Connection to May Litigation Efforts).
Progress on Step 0b: Data Gathering
We need to show how much rent is actually going unpaid. Legislators need to see that a wall of evictions or bankruptcies is coming if we don’t get rent money soon.
Your data will allow us to extrapolate across the state to show how much rent is going unpaid and how many are likely to be evicted when the moratorium ends.
Become a member and additional participation options will be shown to you.