This comprehensive training is split over two days to reduce screen time. Learn everything you need to succeed as an owner or manager of residential rental property in Massachusetts.
This fast-paced course is strictly limited to 16 participants to allow for detailed discussion and Q&A. Course tuition includes:
- Small group session with the Executive Director, a trained presenter and experienced landlord, and the attorney.
- A comprehensive agenda, see below.
- Your choice of two books:
- Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide by NOLO,
- The Good Landlord by Peter Shapiro,
- Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher, and/or
- The Housing Manual by H. John Fisher.
- A bound summary of all material presented.
- A MassLandlords ballpoint pen.
- A MassLandlords certificate of completion and permission to use "MassLandlords Crash Course graduate" on your marketing material.
You will receive a box packed with your personalized signed certificate, your choice of two books, course notes, pen, and half a dozen other pieces of literature. Materials will be mailed when the US curve flattens and we have a local team member healthy for fourteen days consecutively. Electronic course notes will be downloadable for printing at home and notetaking prior to the event.
Open to attendees statewide
You are welcome to participate in this virtual meeting no matter where you are.
Sunday, February 27th, 2022 and Sunday, March 6th, 2022
Virtual Course Agenda
Sunday, February 27th, 2022
- 8:30 am - Introduction of MassLandlords and course participants
- 8:50 - Rental markets
- Urban, suburban, rural
- Luxury, college, professional, working, subsidized, rooming houses
- 9:05 - Property selection
- Lead paint (Legal highlight)
- Bones vs surfaces
- Repairs and renovations
- Durable vs beautiful
- What if I'm stuck with what I've got?
- 9:20 - Sales and marketing 101 for rental property managers
- Marketing rentals
- Sales process
- Staying organized
- Branding a small business
- Getting more or fewer calls
- Tips and tricks
- 10:05 - Break
- 10:15 - Applications and screening
- Criminal, credit, eviction
- Discrimination (legal highlight)
- Tenant Screening Workshop
- 11:20 - If time allows, start Rental Forms
- Lease vs Tenancy at Will
- Eviction notices
- 12:15 - End Day One, course resumes the following Sunday
Sunday, March 6th, 2022
- 8:30 - Review of Day One and follow-up questions
- 8:45 - If needed, finish Rental Forms
- Lease vs Tenancy at Will
- Eviction notices
- 9:15 - Legal Matters start
- Late fees
- Security deposits
- Eviction process
- Water and electrical submetering
- Housing Court vs District Court
- Warranty of habitability
- Rent control
- 10:05 - Break
- 10:15 - Legal Matters finish
- 11:00 - Maintenance, hiring, and operations
- Keeping the rent roll and expenses
- Filing taxes
- To manage or not to mange
- Tenants as customers
- Notifying tenants
- Monitoring contractors
- Lease violations and conflict resolution
- Record keeping
- 11:50 - Overview of books and resources for further education
- 12:00 - Review of unanswered questions
- 12:15 - End Day Two and End Course
Please note that end time each day may vary based on questions.
Participation is Easy
We have two formats of online events:
- Virtual meetings include optional audience participation via video, phone, and screenshare and are not recorded.
- Webinars have limited participation options (typed questions only) and are recorded.
Our virtual registration desk is open for all events one hour starting 30 minutes prior to the event start time. Call 774-314-1896 or email email@example.com for live, real-time help signing in and using your technology.
If joining a virtual meeting, please use the zoom "test audio" feature. You will be allowed to talk to others if your microphone is good and there is no background noise. We reserve the right to mute anyone for any reason. Attendees without a microphone or who don't want to be heard can type questions.
Virtual Meeting Details (hosted by Zoom)
We will share our video, audio, and computer screen and slides.
- Optional: You can share your video with everyone, talk to everyone, and type chat with everyone. Video sharing is not required. Talking is not required.
Password will be emailed and viewable online.
Topic: Crash Course Virtual Meeting February 27 & March 6 Time: Feb 27, 2022 08:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada) Every week on Sun, 2 occurrence(s) Feb 27, 2022 08:30 AM Mar 6, 2022 08:30 AM Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81936808884 Meeting ID: 819 3680 8884 Passcode: Will be emailed and viewable online. Dial by your location +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC) +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) Meeting ID: 819 3680 8884 Passcode: Will be emailed and viewable online. Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdlg7AEsUL
Please note: The above Zoom information is intended for ticket holders only (1 attendee per ticket purchased). To be admitted into the meeting your Zoom account name must correspond with the ticket purchase. If you are purchasing this ticket for someone else please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a virtual course. You are free to prepare food at home and eat while you listen.
This event will not be recorded.
Open to the public. Membership is not required, but advance registration is required!
- Non-members: $215
- Members: $205 (log in before you register or you will see the non-member price)
- Online registration required. All ticket sales final.
Slides and handouts will be downloadable in advance at to Event Password Page.
This event is operated by MassLandlords staff.Membership.
This is part of the Virtual rental real estate networking and training series.
Google calendar users: add our event calendar to your own.
Google calendar users: add this event only to your Google Calendar.
iPhone & iPad users: add our event calendar to iCal.
Outlook users: add our event calendar to Outlook.