Part I: Are Security Deposits History?
We'll review how to take a security deposit, what happens if you mess up the paperwork, and how you may want to raise
the rent instead of taking on the legal exposure of a deposit. We'll be looking at the question of whether security deposits are now so tightly
regulated, with such legal exposure for noncompliance, that average landlords might no longer take a deposit.
Part II: Smart Home Tech for Rental Properties
Technology can save time, reduce risk, and earn higher rents by shutting off the water, giving renters keyless entry, and
keeping vandals away
all without us having to be there. Why would you ever attempt to manage a property without a little remote assistance?
Come see what easy and affordable steps you can take to modernize your units, eliminate travel time,
and get a higher return on your investment.
Use-cases we will be considering:
- Establishing network connections at a property with no office
- Rekeying locks
- Remotely controlling tenants and contractor access
- Controlling / Reducing water, heat, or electrical expenses
- Freeze protection
- Leak detection
- Security cameras and break-in deterrence
We will be going over smart thermostats, water leak detection and shutoff, smart locks, door and window sensors, video monitoring, and more.
This part of the presentation will be given by Charles Hadsell, MassLandlords member, CEO at ePropertyCare, and experienced MassLandlords presenter.
Have you seen our Leave Stuff, Take Stuff Table?
Market your business, pick up handouts, give away an old doorknob. Everything goes on our first-come, first-served display table at all our events. Please bring business cards, brochures, coupons. And feel free to pick up your own uncollected marketing materials at the end. Everything not claimed end-of-event may be chucked.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them.
We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful
educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Wednesday, September 11th
- 5:30pm Sign-in/Networking
- Networking draws from Worcester, Shrewsbury, Millbury, Auburn, Leicester, Paxton, Holden, West Boylston, Boylston, Grafton, Upton, Northbridge, Sutton, Oxford, Charlton, Spencer, Oakham, Rutland, Princeton, Clinton, and Sterling.
- 6:15pm Buffet Dinner by The Vintage Grille
- 6:40pm MassLandlords Business Update and Member Minutes
- Member Minutes - Any member can have the mic for 60 seconds (introduce yourself, ask a question, share words of wisdom, etc.)
- 7:00pm Rich Merlino Meeting Introduction
- Brief moment of silence for the victims of the attacks of September 11, 2001, particularly the 79 Massachusetts residents
- 7:05pm Security Deposits
- 7:30pm Home Tech
- 9:00pm Doors close
Worcester Technical High School
1 Skyline Dr
Worcester, MA 01603
There is ample free parking in the first lot you see, in the covered garage to your left, on top of the garage (entrance further down road), and around the back of the school
- Cheese and crackers, sodas, water, coffee, decaf
- Hot buffet dinner, incl. salad, rolls
- Cookies, brownies, and/or blondies
*Dietary restrictions: purchase an early-bird ticket and email firstname.lastname@example.org, we will accommodate you.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Early-bird, reserve seven days prior by 12pm:
- Premium Members: No charge and no need to register
- First time attendees: Join as a member before leaving the event, your public ticket will be credited toward membership.
- Members: Bring a first-time attendee who joins at the event, your membership will be extended by one month free. No limit.