At this event we will help owners and managers evaluate for themselves whether they are prepared for court following the end of the state moratorium and the start of the CDC moratorium. A sample checklist of considerations:
- Is the issue primarily nonpayment, cause, or no fault?
- If the issue is nonpayment, is the renter covered or likely to be covered under the CDC moratorium?
- Are there code issues with the unit?
- Is there a security deposit? Is it compliantly held?
- And much more
This presentation will be given by attorney Kate Higgins-Shea. Attorney Higgins-Shea is a partner at Lyon & Fitzpatrick, LLP in Holyoke. Her practice concentrates on housing, representing landlords and property managers in civil and eviction cases. She also represents court-appointed receivers. She has been instrumental in developing our rental forms and has been a long-time contributor at MassLandlords Greater Springfield. As the courts become fully virtual, attorneys based in any region may represent clients anywhere in the state.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them. We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Open to attendees statewide
This event is regionally branded in keeping with a local tradition. This region used to meet in-person on this day at this time. You are welcome to participate in this virtual meeting no matter where you are in the state.
Monday, October 26th
Virtual Meeting Agenda
- 5:00pm Sign-in and virtual networking: you can chit chat with others as people log in
- 5:40pm MassLandlords Business Update and Member Minutes
- Member Minutes - Any member can have the mic for 60 seconds (introduce yourself, ask a question, share words of wisdom, etc.)
- 6:00pm Attorney Higgins-Shea
- 7:00pm Virtual meeting ends
Participation is Easy
As a result of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, our events have been replaced by webinars or virtual meetings held during the traditional event time for each former location:
- Virtual meetings include optional audience participation via video, phone, and screenshare and are not recorded.
- Webinars have limited participation options (typed questions only) and are recorded.
Our virtual registration desk is open for all events one hour starting 30 minutes prior to the event start time. Call 774-314-1896 or email email@example.com for live, real-time help signing in and using your technology.
If joining a virtual meeting, please use the zoom "test audio" feature. You will be allowed to talk to others if your microphone is good and there is no background noise. We reserve the right to mute anyone for any reason. Attendees without a microphone or who don't want to be heard can type questions.
Virtual Meeting Details (hosted by Zoom)
We will share our video, audio, and computer screen and slides.
- Optional: You can share your video with everyone, talk to everyone, and type chat with everyone. Video sharing is not required. Talking is not required.
Password will be emailed and viewable online.
Topic: Cape, Islands, and Statewide Virtual Meeting: Checklist for Preparing for Court Time: Oct 26, 2020 05:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83091690608 Meeting ID: 830 9169 0608 Passcode: Will be emailed Dial by your location +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) Meeting ID: 830 9169 0608 Passcode: Will be emailed Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcW85QorEV
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Contemporaneous participation:
- Public: $10
- Members: $7
- Premium Members: No charge and no need to register. Click here for meeting details and password.
This event will not be recorded.
This event is operated by MassLandlords staff.
Want to speak at a MassLandlords meeting? Submit a speaker request.