Learn everything you need to succeed as an owner or manager of residential rental property in Massachusetts.
This fast-paced course is strictly limited to 16 participants to allow for detailed discussion and Q&A. Course tuition includes:
- Small group session with the Executive Director, a trained presenter and experienced landlord, and the attorney.
- A comprehensive agenda, see below.
- Your choice of two books:
- Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide by NOLO,
- The Good Landlord by Peter Shapiro,
- Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher, and/or
- The Housing Manual by H. John Fisher.
- A bound summary of all material presented.
- Breakfast pastries, coffee, tea.
- Lunch sandwiches, sodas, chips, cookies; all dietary requirements satisfied, please notify us when you purchase a ticket.
- A MassLandlords ballpoint pen.
- A MassLandlords certificate of completion and permission to use "MassLandlords Crash Course graduate" on your marketing material.
You will receive a box packed with your personalized signed certificate,
your choice of two books, course notes, pen, and half a dozen other pieces of literature.
Saturday, October 22nd, 2022
Crash Course Agenda
Saturday, October 22nd, 2022
- 8:30 am - Introduction of MassLandlords and course participants
- 8:45 - Rental markets
- Urban, suburban, rural
- Luxury, college, professional, working, subsidized, rooming houses
- 9:00 - Property selection
- Lead paint (Legal highlight)
- Bones vs surfaces
- Repairs and renovations
- Durable vs beautiful
- What if I'm stuck with what I've got?
- 9:40 - Sales and marketing 101 for rental property managers
- Marketing rentals
- Sales process
- Staying organized
- Branding a small business
- Getting more or fewer calls
- Tips and tricks
- 10:05 - Break for ten minutes
- 10:15 - Finish sales and marketing
- 10:35 - Applications and screening
- Criminal, credit, eviction
- Discrimination (legal highlight)
- Tenant Screening Workshop
- 11:30 - Rental Forms
- Lease vs Tenancy at Will
- Eviction notices
- 11:50 - Break and Lunch, with free form Q&A
- 12:20 - Finish rental forms
- 12:40 - Legal Matters start
- Late fees
- Security deposits
- Eviction process
- Water and electrical submetering
- Housing Court vs District Court
- Warranty of habitability
- Rent control
- 1:40 - Break for ten minutes
- 1:50 - Maintenance, hiring, and operations
- Keeping the rent roll and expenses
- Filing taxes
- To manage or not to mange
- Tenants as customers
- Notifying tenants
- Monitoring contractors
- Lease violations and conflict resolution
- Record keeping
- 2:40 - Overview of books and resources for further education
- 2:45 - Review of unanswered questions
- 3:00 - End Course
Please note that end time each day may vary based on questions.
Realtor Association of Pioneer Valley
221 Industry Ave
Springfield, MA 01104
This event is in-person only. There is no zoom option. Look for our next crash course over zoom or locally.
- Fresh bagels, large muffins, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake slices and scones with cream cheese, butter, and jam
- Fresh fruit platter
- Assorted fruit juices and coffee
- Assorted gourmet sandwiches
- Garden salad
- Pasta salad
- Assorted pastries
- Soda, juice, water
*Please email email@example.com if you have any dietary restrictions and need a special meal.
This event will not be recorded.
Open to the public. Membership is not required, but advance registration is required!
- Non-members: $250
- Members: $225 (log in before you register or you will see the non-member price)
- Online registration required. All ticket sales final.
At time of advertising, masks were not required by any policy of MassLandlords, the venue or the municipality. Masks are welcome. Breakfast and lunch will be served in or near the room and may be taken outside weather permitting.
If you are feeling tired or sick, please do not come! Your ticket will be refunded in full. Please let us know before the start time for your course so we can notify the instructors.