Part I: The Art Fisher
Art Fisher has been a real estate investor for ten years now. He wants to share highlights from this past decade,
including the good, the bad, and the exceptionally bad.
There's one story in particular we want you to hear. MassLandlords emcee Rich Merlino suggested this portion could be called,
"How the courts can eff up your entire business and life."
Enough time has passed where Art is willing to share what happened so we can all be better for it.
Part II: The Biggest Tax Changes in 40 Years
This is the main part of the evening.
The Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 is taking effect on the returns we'll soon be filing. Overall for investors, the changes are favorable.
We want to cover a variety of topics including changes to Section 1031 exchanges, pass-through entity tax credits, changes to the standard deduction,
and a wide variety of other issues you should be aware of to maximum your tax savings from real estate.
This part of the presentation will be given by Steven Thebodo, CPA.
Steve has been with O'Connor, Maloney & Company, P.C. since 2001.
He provides clients with tax advice and preparation services, financial statement preparation,
accounting, auditing and consulting services.
He graduated from Assumption College in 2000 with a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting.
Steve is past president of the Worcester Young Businessman’s Association and Spencer Exchange Club.
He is the assistant treasurer of Girl’s, Inc. of Worcester and a member of the East Brookfield planning board.
Steve was named to Worcester Business Journal’s 40 Under Forty in 2013. He has spoken at MassLandlords Worcester before
and earned high marks.
Have you seen our Leave Stuff, Take Stuff Table?
Market your business, pick up handouts, give away an old doorknob. Everything goes on our first-come, first-served display table at all our events. Please bring business cards, brochures, coupons. And feel free to pick up your own uncollected marketing materials at the end. Everything not claimed end-of-event may be chucked.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them.
We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful
educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Wednesday, January 9th
- 5:30pm Sign-in/Networking
- Networking draws from Worcester, Shrewsbury, Millbury, Auburn, Leicester, Paxton, Holden, West Boylston, Boylston, Grafton, Upton, Northbridge, Sutton, Oxford, Charlton, Spencer, Oakham, Rutland, Princeton, Clinton, and Sterling.
- 6:15pm Buffet Dinner by The Vintage Grille
- 6:40pm MassLandlords Business Update and Member Minutes
- Member Minutes - Any member can have the mic for 60 seconds (introduce yourself, ask a question, share words of wisdom, etc.)
- 7:00pm Rich Merlino Meeting Introduction
- 7:05pm Art Fisher, an Unbelievably Bad Experience we can Learn From
- 7:30pm Steve Thebodo, the Biggest Tax Changes in 40 Years
- 9:00pm Doors close
Worcester Technical High School
1 Skyline Dr
Worcester, MA 01603
There is ample free parking in the first lot you see, in the covered garage to your left, on top of the garage (entrance further down road), and around the back of the school
- Cheese and crackers, sodas, water, coffee, decaf
- Hot buffet dinner, incl. salad, rolls
- Cookies, brownies, and/or blondies
*Dietary restrictions: purchase an early-bird ticket and email email@example.com, we will accommodate you.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Early-bird, reserve seven days prior by 12pm:
- Premium Members: No charge and no need to register
Nametags are printed for early-bird public, early-bird member, and premium members only.
- First time attendees: Join as a member before leaving the event, your public ticket will be credited toward membership.
- Members: Bring a first-time attendee who joins at the event, your membership will be extended by one month free. No limit.