When it's time to raise the rent, can you just declare the new rent level? Or what paperwork is required? Do we need to terminate the tenancy?
Can they sign an addendum? How do we avoid discrimination, concessions, or other legal gotchas?
We'll be walking through the various ways landlords attempt to raise the rent and discussing the pitfalls with each approach. Attendees will leave with a clear understanding of
the way judges want to see rent raises carried out.
This part of the presentation will be presented by Attorney Kate Higgins-Shea.
What's the biggest tax savings ever? How about if you saved over $100,000?
Come learn about IRS Section 1031, which allows owners to avoid recapture tax.
In a nutshell, owners can depreciate their property, saving tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes
over the life of the building, and then they can sell out and transfer that money into new property of like kind without paying recapture tax.
Everyone serious about rental property as an investment vehicle should understand Section 1031. But it's not for the faint of heart! Tight timelines are involved.
If you do it only once if your life, it will still save you $100,000 or more, depending on the value of your property.
This part will be presented by Chris Brown of Edmund & Wheeler.
Thursday, October 11th
RHAGS Meeting Agenda
- 5:30pm Sign-in and Networking
- Cash bar
- Networking draws from Springfield, West Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee, Ludlow, Wilbraham, East Longmeadow, Longmeadow, Agawam, Southwick, Southampton, Easthampton, Northampton, Westhampton, Hadley, South Hadley, Granby, Amherst, Belchertown, Ware, Palmer, Warren, Monson, and Hampden.
- 6:00pm Buffet dinner
- 6:40pm State-wide Business Update and Member Minutes
- 7:00pm Local Updates
- 7:05pm Legal Update
- 7:10pm Attorney Kate Higgins-Shea: How to Raise the Rent
- 7:50pm Chris Brown: Section 1031 Exchanges
- 8:30pm Networking
- 9:00pm Doors Close
Springfield Country Club
1375 Elm St
West Springfield, MA 01089
- Hot buffet dinner, incl. salad and rolls
- Cash bar
- Hot Coffee & Tea
- Dessert (cookies, brownies, and blondies)
*Dietary restrictions: purchase an early-bird ticket and email email@example.com, we will accommodate you.
Open to the public. Non-members always welcome!
- Public: $41.00
- Members: $31.00
- Early bird, reserve seven days prior by 12pm:
- Public: $36.00
- Members: $26.00
This event is operated by MassLandlords staff. Check in with your MassLandlords ID card.