Canceled - Attendance.
Learn everything you need to succeed as an owner or manager of residential rental property in Massachusetts.
This fast-paced course is strictly limited to 16 participants to allow for detailed discussion and Q&A. Course tuition includes:
- Small group session with the Executive Director, a trained presenter and experienced landlord, and the Legislative Affairs Counsel, an attorney.
- A comprehensive agenda, see below.
- Your choice of two books:
- Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide by NOLO,
- The Good Landlord by Peter Shapiro,
- Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher, and/or
- The Housing Manual by H. John Fisher.
- A bound summary of all material presented.
- Breakfast pastries, coffee, tea.
- Lunch sandwiches, sodas, chips, cookies; all dietary requirements satisfied, please notify us when you purchase a ticket.
- A MassLandlords ballpoint pen.
- A coupon for 10% off any MassLandlords annual membership.
- A MassLandlords certificate of completion and permission to use "MassLandlords Crash Course graduate" on your marketing material.
Saturday, September 22nd, 2018
- 8:30 am - Introduction of MassLandlords and course participants
- 8:45 - Rental markets
- Urban, suburban, rural
- Luxury, college, professional, working, subsidized, rooming houses
- 8:55 - Property selection
- Lead paint (Legal highlight)
- Bones vs surfaces
- Repairs and renovations
- Durable vs beautiful
- What if I'm stuck with what I've got?
- 9:05 - Sales and marketing 101 for rental property managers
- Marketing rentals
- Sales process
- Staying organized
- Branding a small business
- Getting more or fewer calls
- Tips and tricks
- 9:45 - Break
- 9:55 - Applications and screening
- Criminal, credit, eviction
- Discrimination (legal highlight)
- Tenant Screening Workshop
- 10:50 - Rental Forms
- Lease vs Tenancy at Will
- Eviction notices
- 11:10 - Legal Matters
- Late fees
- Security deposits
- Eviction process
- Water and electrical submetering
- Housing Court vs District Court
- Warranty of habitability
- Rent control
- 12:10 - Break and Lunch, with free form Q&A
- 12:40 - Maintenance, hiring, and operations
- Keeping the rent roll and expenses
- Filing taxes
- To manage or not to mange
- Tenants as customers
- Notifying tenants
- Monitoring contractors
- Lease violations and conflict resolution
- Record keeping
- 1:15 - Overview of books and resources for further education
- 1:20 - Review of unanswered questions
- 1:40 - End
Realtor Association of Pioneer Valley
221 Industry Ave
Springfield, MA 01104
Plenty of parking. On Saturdays, the rear entrance only is unlocked. Come around back.
- Continental Breakfast
- Fresh Baked Pastries, Muffins and Donuts
- Variety of Bagels with Cream Cheese and Butter
- Fresh Cut Fruit
- Orange Juice
- Assorted Paninis
- Soft Drinks, ice tea, lemonade, and water
*Dietary restrictions: purchase a ticket one week in advance and email email@example.com, we will accommodate you.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Advance registration required:
- Public: $205
- Members: $195
to purchase an Anytime Ticket. We’ll accumulate your ticket with others until we have enough attendees to schedule the next course near you.
This event is operated by MassLandlords staff.
Canceled - Attendance.