Part I: Section 8
Rental subsidies like the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) can be great programs to participate in. But they can be tough
on the unprepared landlord! Come learn about how Section 8 and programs like it operate. Learn why in Massachusetts (unlike in other
states), landlords cannot refuse to participate in the program.
We'll be covering the Section 8 process, the legal background on how the program came to be, and how to screen Section 8 applicants
without discrimination and without handing the keys to a mystery. We'll also cover inspections, allude to project-based vouchers,
and explain what happens if your insurance says, "No Section 8" (hint: your insurance gets in trouble).
This part of the presentation will be given by MassLandlords staff in cooperation with John Fisher, author of the Property Management Manual
(the one we sell at the desk) and trainer at Wayfinders, and Melvin Arocho, Compliance Officer
at the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. We will also talk about a new program designed to help families
attain self-sufficiency and eventually graduate from programs like Section 8.
Part II: Member Choice TBA
We're holding this slot for educational content requested by members. What questions have you had lately? Know someone who would make a great speaker without a sales pitch? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us which location you want to attend (if it's not already clear from your ticket purchase history.)
Topic will be decided and announced shortly based on your suggestions.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them.
We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful
educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Thursday, January 9th
RHAGS Meeting Agenda
- 5:30pm Sign-in and Networking
- Cash bar
- Networking draws from Springfield, West Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee, Ludlow, Wilbraham, East Longmeadow, Longmeadow, Agawam, Southwick, Southampton, Easthampton, Northampton, Westhampton, Hadley, South Hadley, Granby, Amherst, Belchertown, Ware, Palmer, Warren, Monson, and Hampden.
- 6:00pm Buffet dinner
- 6:40pm State-wide Business Update and Member Minutes
- 7:00pm Local Updates
- 7:05pm Legal Update
- 7:10pm Section 8
- 7:50pm Member Choice
- 8:30pm Networking
- 9:00pm Doors Close
3 Country Club Rd
Holyoke, MA 01040
- Hot buffet dinner, incl. salad and rolls
- Cash bar
- Hot Coffee & Tea
*Dietary restrictions: purchase an early-bird ticket and update the goals/restrictions field in your profile, we will accommodate you.
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Early bird, reserve seven days prior by 12pm:
Nametags are printed for all early-bird tickets and premium members.
- First time attendees: Join as a member before leaving the event, your public ticket will be credited toward membership.
- Members: Bring a first-time attendee who joins at the event, your membership will be extended by one month free. No limit.