This event will teach attendees the legal alternative to filing for eviction and waiting for a court hearing: the "cash for keys" mutual release.
A variety of factors make "cash for keys" arrangements desirable from an owner/manager point of view:
- Rent arrears for many of us are into the tens of thousands of dollars;
- The state legislature won't enact a housing guarantee because reasons;
- The Governor's administration isn't setting aside enough money to pay for the arrears;
- The judicial branch is working hard but ultimately can only do so much with a nine month backlog.
Is it time to cut your losses and move on? This presentation will review:
- Have cash for keys been allowed under the MA eviction moratorium? (Yes, we'll review the case law)
- What does a properly structured cash for keys agreement look like?
- What is best practice for going forward given the state of the Massachusetts and CDC moratoriums.
- What is the benefit of attempting a cash for keys mediated move-out, compared to waiting for a court date.
- What is the likelihood of success of trying to game the system by filing a no-fault, no cause eviction when rent arrears are owed? (Hint: not good.)
- What is best practice for starting the conversation with a renter who is long-term unstable in their current housing?
Part of the presentation will be given by Peter Vickery of Bobrowski & Vickery, LLC. Attorney Vickery practices law in Western Massachusetts where he focuses on landlord-tenant law (representing landlords in Housing Court) and discrimination defense (representing business owners in the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination). He graduated from Oxford University (Jesus College) with a BA in Modern History; obtained his Post-Graduate Diploma in Law from the University of the West of England in Bristol; his JD from Boston University School of Law; and his Masters in Public Policy & Administration from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Attorney Vickery served one term on the Governor's Council (the elected 8-member body that approves or vetoes the governor's choice of judges in Massachusetts) and on the State Ballot Law Commission. As Legislative Affairs Counsel for MassLandlords he drafts bills, bill summaries, and testimony in the area of housing law, and writes amicus briefs in cases that have strategic significance for rental-property owners.
Part of the presentation will be given by Peter Shapiro. A graduate of MIT's Master's Program in City Planning, Peter founded and directed Mediation For Results, a Program at Just-A-Start Corporation, a nonprofit in Cambridge, Massachusetts. From 1990 to 2015, Peter and his team provided landlord counseling, mediation and homelessness prevention, and led landlord support groups across Metro Boston. Peter now provides Helpline and Member services for MassLandlords and also provides landlord counseling and mediation for the City of Boston. Peter is the author of The Good Landlord: A Guide to Making a Profit While Making a Difference.
"No Sales Pitch" Guarantee
MassLandlords offers attendees of directly managed events a "No Sales Pitch" guarantee. If a guest speaker offers services, their presentation will not discuss pricing, promotions, or reasons why you should hire them. We do not permit speakers to pay for or sponsor events. Guest speakers are chosen for their expertise and willingness to present helpful educational content. Your purchase of an event ticket sustains our nonprofit model.
Open to attendees statewide
This event is regionally branded in keeping with a local tradition. This region used to meet in-person on this day at this time. You are welcome to participate in this virtual meeting no matter where you are in the state.
Tuesday, October 20th
Cambridge & Statewide Virtual Meeting Agenda
- 5:10pm Sign-in and virtual networking: you can chit chat with others as people log in
- 5:40pm MassLandlords Business Update and Member Minutes
- Member Minutes - Any member can have the mic for 60 seconds (introduce yourself, ask a question, share words of wisdom, etc.)
- 6:00pm Local Manager Meeting Introduction
- 6:05pm Cash for keys
- 7:00pm Virtual meeting ends
Participation is Easy
As a result of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, our events have been replaced by webinars or virtual meetings held during the traditional event time for each former location:
- Virtual meetings include optional audience participation via video, phone, and screenshare and are not recorded.
- Webinars have limited participation options (typed questions only) and are recorded.
Our virtual registration desk is open for all events one hour starting 30 minutes prior to the event start time. Call 774-314-1896 or email email@example.com for live, real-time help signing in and using your technology.
If joining a virtual meeting, please use the zoom "test audio" feature. You will be allowed to talk to others if your microphone is good and there is no background noise. We reserve the right to mute anyone for any reason. Attendees without a microphone or who don't want to be heard can type questions.
Virtual Meeting Details (hosted by Zoom)
We will share our video, audio, and computer screen and slides.
- Optional: You can share your video with everyone, talk to everyone, and type chat with everyone. Video sharing is not required. Talking is not required.
Password will be emailed and viewable online.
Topic: Cambridge and Statewide Virtual Meeting October 20, 2020 Time: Oct 20, 2020 05:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84317148107 Meeting ID: 843 1714 8107 Passcode: Will be emailed Dial by your location +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown) +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) Meeting ID: 843 1714 8107 Passcode: Will be emailed Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kIauLtnsj
Open to the public. Membership is not required!
- Contemporaneous participation:
- Public: $10
- Members: $7
- Premium Members: No charge and no need to register. Click here for meeting details and password.
This event will not be recorded. Any slides or handouts will be posted at "Cash for Keys Could it Work for You?"
This event is operated by MassLandlords staff.
Want to speak at a MassLandlords meeting? Submit a speaker request.
This is part of the Boston/Cambridge rental real estate networking and training series.