Learn everything you need to succeed as an owner or manager of residential rental property in Massachusetts.
This fast-paced course is strictly limited to 16 participants to allow for detailed discussion and Q&A. Course tuition includes:
- Small group session with the Executive Director, a trained presenter and experienced landlord, and the attorney.
- A comprehensive agenda, see below.
- Your choice of two books:
- Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide by NOLO,
- The Good Landlord by Peter Shapiro,
- Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher, and/or
- The Housing Manual by H. John Fisher.
- A bound summary of all material presented.
- Breakfast pastries, coffee, tea.
- Lunch sandwiches, sodas, chips, cookies; all dietary requirements satisfied, please notify us when you purchase a ticket.
- A MassLandlords ballpoint pen.
- A MassLandlords certificate of completion and permission to use "MassLandlords Crash Course graduate" on your marketing material.
You will receive a box packed with your personalized signed certificate, your choice of two books, course notes, pen, and half a dozen other pieces of literature.
Purchase your ticket in just a few clicks!
Saturday, September 10th, 2022
Crash Course Agenda
Saturday, September 10th, 2022
- 8:30 am - Introduction of MassLandlords and course participants
- 8:45 - Rental markets
- Urban, suburban, rural
- Luxury, college, professional, working, subsidized, rooming houses
- 9:00 - Property selection
- Lead paint (Legal highlight)
- Bones vs surfaces
- Repairs and renovations
- Durable vs beautiful
- What if I'm stuck with what I've got?
- 9:40 - Sales and marketing 101 for rental property managers
- Marketing rentals
- Sales process
- Staying organized
- Branding a small business
- Getting more or fewer calls
- Tips and tricks
- 10:05 - Break for ten minutes
- 10:15 - Finish sales and marketing
- 10:35 - Applications and screening
- Criminal, credit, eviction
- Discrimination (legal highlight)
- Tenant Screening Workshop
- 11:30 - Rental Forms
- Lease vs Tenancy at Will
- Eviction notices
- 11:50 - Break and Lunch, with free form Q&A
- 12:20 - Finish rental forms
- 12:40 - Legal Matters start
- Late fees
- Security deposits
- Eviction process
- Water and electrical submetering
- Housing Court vs District Court
- Warranty of habitability
- Rent control
- 1:40 - Break for ten minutes
- 1:50 - Maintenance, hiring, and operations
- Keeping the rent roll and expenses
- Filing taxes
- To manage or not to mange
- Tenants as customers
- Notifying tenants
- Monitoring contractors
- Lease violations and conflict resolution
- Record keeping
- 2:40 - Overview of books and resources for further education
- 2:45 - Review of unanswered questions
- 3:00 - End Course
Please note that end time each day may vary based on questions.
Cambridge Innovation Center
14th Floor, Charles Conference Room
Cambridge, MA 02134
Accessing from the T
- Exit the Kendall T stop on Main St.
- Cross to the side of Main St. with the Chipotle and walk up the street towards Broadway, passing the Chipotle on your left.
- You will then round the corner to the left and One Broadway will be across the street diagonally.
- Cross over Third St. and Broadway to arrive at One Broadway.
For all attendees Upon entering One Broadway, you will need to check in with the lobby security. You'll just need to show your ID and let them know you're going to the MassLandlords event and which floor.
Accessible by T and highway. Parking available in several garages for weekend rates. See CIC Directions for details. Pilgrim Parking has affordable rates and is a short walk from the venue, click here for details
This event is in-person only. There is no zoom option. Look for our next crash course over zoom or locally.
- Fresh bagels, large muffins, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake slices and scones with cream cheese, butter, and jam
- Fresh fruit platter
- Assorted fruit juices and coffee
- Assorted gourmet sandwiches
- Garden salad
- Pasta salad
- Assorted pastries
- Soda, juice, water
*Please email email@example.com if you have any dietary restrictions and need a special meal.
This event will not be recorded.
Open to the public. Membership is not required, but advance registration is required!
- Non-members: $250
- Members: $225 (log in before you register or you will see the non-member price)
- Online registration required. All ticket sales final.
At time of advertising, masks were not required by any policy of MassLandlords, the venue or the municipality. Masks are welcome. Breakfast and lunch will be served in or near the room and may be taken outside weather permitting.
If you are feeling tired or sick, please do not come! Your ticket will be refunded in full. Please let us know before the start time for your course so we can notify the instructors.
Click here to purchase tickets for this event
The training counts for continuing education credit for Certified Massachusetts Landlord Level Three. Beep in. Leave feedback/beep out.
This event is operated by MassLandlords staff.Membership.
This is part of the Virtual rental real estate networking and training series.
Google calendar users: add our event calendar to your own.
Google calendar users: add this event only to your calendar.
iPhone & iPad users: add our event calendar to iCal.
Outlook users: add our event calendar to Outlook.
2 Responses to Cambridge Sat Sep 10: The MassLandlords Crash Course in Landlording
Hi does it account as 8 hours required to fill the level 3 landlord certificate?
Maryam, the Crash Course counts as 8 credits, yes. Level 3 is not officially released yet but we do keep track of credits and they will count towards this when it is.