Learn everything you need to succeed as an owner or manager of residential rental property in Massachusetts.
This fast-paced course is strictly limited to 16 participants to allow for detailed discussion and Q&A. Course tuition includes:
- Small group session with the Executive Director, a trained presenter and experienced landlord, and the attorney.
- A comprehensive agenda, see below.
- Your choice of two books:
- Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide by NOLO,
- The Good Landlord by Peter Shapiro,
- Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher, and/or
- The Housing Manual by H. John Fisher.
- A bound summary of all material presented.
- Breakfast pastries, coffee, tea.
- Lunch sandwiches, sodas, chips, cookies; all dietary requirements satisfied, please notify us when you purchase a ticket.
- A MassLandlords ballpoint pen.
- A coupon for 10% off any MassLandlords annual membership.
- A MassLandlords certificate of completion and permission to use "MassLandlords Crash Course graduate" on your marketing material.
Saturday, September 18th, 2021
- 8:30 am - Introduction of MassLandlords and course participants
- 8:50 - Rental markets
- Urban, suburban, rural
- Luxury, college, professional, working, subsidized, rooming houses
- 9:05 - Property selection
- Lead paint (Legal highlight)
- Bones vs surfaces
- Repairs and renovations
- Durable vs beautiful
- What if I'm stuck with what I've got?
- 9:20 - Sales and marketing 101 for rental property managers
- Marketing rentals
- Sales process
- Staying organized
- Branding a small business
- Getting more or fewer calls
- Tips and tricks
- 10:05 - Break
- 10:15 - Applications and screening
- Criminal, credit, eviction
- Discrimination (legal highlight)
- Tenant Screening Workshop
- 11:20 - Rental Forms
- Lease vs Tenancy at Will
- Eviction notices
- 11:55 - Legal Matters start
- Late fees
- Security deposits
- Eviction process
- Water and electrical submetering
- Housing Court vs District Court
- Warranty of habitability
- Rent control
- 12:15 - Break and Lunch, with free form Q&A
- 12:45 - Legal Matters finish
- 1:45 - Maintenance, hiring, and operations
- Keeping the rent roll and expenses
- Filing taxes
- To manage or not to mange
- Tenants as customers
- Notifying tenants
- Monitoring contractors
- Lease violations and conflict resolution
- Record keeping
- 2:30 - Overview of books and resources for further education
- 2:35 - Review of unanswered questions
- 2:45 - End
Please note that end time may vary based on questions.
Cambridge Innovation Center
11th Floor, Singapore Room
Cambridge, MA 02134
Accessing from the T
- Exit the Kendall T stop on Main St.
- Cross to the side of Main St. with the Chipotle and walk up the street towards Broadway, passing the Chipotle on your left.
- You will then round the corner to the left and One Broadway will be across the street diagonally.
- Cross over Third St. and Broadway to arrive at One Broadway.
For all attendees Upon entering One Broadway, you will need to check in with the lobby security. You'll just need to show your ID and let them know you're going to the MassLandlords event and which floor.
Accessible by T and highway. Parking available in several garages for weekend rates. See CIC Directions for details. Pilgrim Parking has affordable rates and is a short walk from the venue, click here for details
- Fresh bagels, large muffins, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake slices and scones with cream cheese, butter, and jam
- Fresh fruit platter
- Assorted fruit juices and coffee
- Assorted gourmet sandwiches
- Garden salad
- Fruit salad
- Assorted pastries
- Soda, juice, water
*Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any dietary restrictions and need a special meal.
Proof of Vaccination Required (additionally, masks required)
In order for us to reduce the risk to staff and attendees during this day-long course, proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required to enter unless there is a documented medical reason why you cannot be vaccinated. We accept without advance notice:
- CDC vaccination cards (or copies or scans) showing completion of an FDA-approved vaccination schedule at least two weeks earlier.
With advance notice we will also accept any app or other documentation produced by a foreign government. Email email@example.com to alert us that you will be bringing proof of vaccination from another country so we can prepare to validate it.
If due to medical reason you cannot be vaccinated, please plan to submit in advance a note from a qualified healthcare professional, on their letterhead, that you have a medical disability preventing you from being vaccinated at this time. A negative COVID test result will be required dated no more than three days prior. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a secure upload link for your letter and plan to bring your printed or scanned test result day-of.
Additionally, attendees and staff are required to wear a mask except when eating. Staff are vaccinated.
If you are unvaccinated for any reason other than a medical one, please plan to attend a zoom training event instead. You will be denied entry without proof of vaccination or a previously filed medical exemption. Learn more about vaccines from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Non-members: $215
- Members: $205 (log in before you register or you will see the non-member price)
- Online registration required. All ticket sales final.
Please note: this event is run by MassLandlords staff.